As a runner, I require quite a lot of food to keep me going throughout the day, so these little energy balls are perfect for a quick snack on the go. The natural sugar from the dates and fat from the nuts also make for great fuel, when I’m out running on the trails.
1/2 cup of toasted whole almonds
20 pitted dates
2 tbsp of raw cocoa powder
1 tbsp of raw cocoa nibs
1 tbsp of almond milk (or any – I use Alpro)
1 pinch of salt
1. Toast your whole almonds
2. Blend the almond in a food processor to a fine, but still crunchy texture and set aside
3. Blend the dates until finely chopped and glued together in a ball
4. Using your hands (it’s a lot easier as the dates are very sticky), ‘knead’ the raw co co powder into the dates
5. Add in the tbsp of milk, as this helps with the consistency (more can be added as we go, if needed)
6. Now add in the majority of the chopped almonds, leaving about three tablespoons aside, as well as a pinch of salt and combine
7. Finally, work in the cocoa nibs
8. Shape into roughly 10 equal balls then roll each one in the leftover chopped almonds, to give them a nice crunchy coating
Store in an airtight container and consume within a week.